Wednesday, July 15, 2009

UnRead

It’s been a few weeks since I’ve done Booking Through Thursday. I just love this topic!

“So here today I present to you an Unread Books Challenge. Give me the list or take a picture of all the books you have stacked on your bedside table, hidden under the bed or standing in your shelf – the books you have not read, but keep meaning to. The books that begin to weigh on your mind. The books that make you cover your ears in conversation and say, ‘No! Don’t give me another book to read! I can’t finish the ones I have!’ “


These are the books by my bedside – and some have been in this pile for many years. When I do finish one from this stack I replace it with a book from a whole other shelf containing “books on the queue!”

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery: Since I read before falling asleep at night this bedside book is one that I’m actually reading right now.

New Orleans Morning by Julie Smith: I don’t usually read mysteries but this was about New Orleans and I couldn’t resist. I’m saving it for a light read – which I need occasionally.

Carved in Sand by Cathryn Jakobson Ramin: I heard the author interview on NPR and had to get it. It’s about all the different things you can do to enhance your memory. Once I remember to read it I’ll be all set.

Love Medicine by Louise Erdrich: I love Louise Erdrich.

Birds of America by Lorrie Moore: I try to keep up with a book club I used to belong to when I lived in Syracuse. I haven’t got to this one yet.

Zorba The Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis: I try to mix up my books with a classic now and then.

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski: This one is for my vacation read.

The Reindeer People by Peirs Vitebsky: I saw this in a Daedalus flyer and had to have it.

We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates: I enjoy her books. She’s lecturing in town this summer and I plan to go see her.

The Ghost Stories of Muriel Spark by Muriel Spark: Who couldn’t resist a book of ghost stories by the author of “The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie?”

Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson: I actually started this for book club but haven’t finished it yet.

Total Immersion by Terry Laughlin: This is a work in progress. It has changed my life.

A Shooting Star by Wallace Stegner: I love this author but haven’t gotten to this one yet.

An Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron: Just because I want to be an artist someday.

Pictures at an Exhibition by Sara Houghteling: My sister lent this to me and I’ve finished it. I like to keep books that I’ve finished by my bedside (before moving them to the "read" shelf!) so I can look at them for a while. Each time I look at a book I’ve read some excerpt will pop into my head.

Freddy and Fredericka by Mark Helprin: I just love this author too. I’m hoping to start this one soon.

The Lives They Left Behind by Penney and Stastny: I heard about this book in our local newspaper. The story haunted me so much that I had to have the book.

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom: This was a “used book gift” one of my book clubs does during the winter holiday time from two years ago.

Vinegar Hill by A. Manette Ansay: Another “used book gift” from three years ago.

Klutz Juggling for the Complete Klutz by John Cassidy and B.C. Rimbeaux: Because someday I want to learn to juggle.

Collected Works of Ralph Waldo Emerson: There is an essay in here that my husband recommended I read.

~Swingset


No comments:

Post a Comment